Dear Friends,

I just wanted to share the wonderful news that Maltese Sign Language (LSM) is now an official language in Malta.
The Bill became law on Wednesday 16th, less than 48 hours ago.  I was in Parliament with some members of the
Deaf community.

Hopefully, this will make a difference to many here, particularly to youngsters at school but also to the adults.
There is, of course, a lot of work to be done to enable the law to make a difference but this is the first big step.
Signwriting will play an important role as we hope to develop resources through it too.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of you saw one of the photos that went floating across smartphones within minutes.

I thought you would all be pleased about this.  The Maltese Deaf community is tiny but they make up for it in other ways.

Regards to all,
Marie Alexander
Malta