Hi SignWriting List,

Happy New Year to all.  I have lots to share and I hope you do too.

First, I'm happy to celebrate 5 years of stability with Formal
SignWriting: the computer encoding of Sutton SignWriting.  I have a new
internet draft available that contains all of the technical information
about the specification.
* https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting

Second, I'd like to announce a new effort for Unicode.  Section 4 of the
document above contains a new design that builds on the 672 Unicode
characters that have already been accepted.  The new design completes
the script encoding with an additional 17 characters. I've put together
a brief presentation available online.
* http://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/signwriting-in-unicode-next

Third, the Center for Sutton Movement Writing is working on a grant
proposal from the Wikimedia Foundation.  The grant involves the creation
of a 2-D font that will work with the new Unicode design. The new font
will be the key component of the official submission to the Unicode
Technical Committee for the 17 new characters.
*
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/slevinski/ASL_Wikipedia_2-D_Font_Development_for_SignWriting

Fourth, the Sutton SignWriting project is a nice collection of resources
that explain and leverage the state of the art for using SignWriting online.
* https://slevinski.github.io/SuttonSignWriting/

2017 is going to be another great year for SignWriting.  Warmest wishes
to all.

Regards,
-Steve