January 24, 2017

I received this question...

QUESTION:

I was researching more on the dual coding theory of learning and there are articles about the deaf and dual coding or imagery.  I started wondering if SignWriting is a type of dual coding.

ANSWER:

Thank you for this question.

I am hoping that on the SignWriting List someone can explain to us what "dual coding" means. I am sorry that I do not know what it is.

SignWriting is not a coding system. It is a writing system. It is a way to write body movement. We can write sign languages with the SignWriting Script.

So SignWriting is a writing system for a series of languages - sign languages - just like A, B, C and the letters of the Roman alphabet write a series of spoken languages - the spoken languages of Europe, such as French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and English - all use the Roman alphabet symbols to write their unique languages...

So the SignWriting symbols are used to write any sign language in the world. The person writing has to know their own sign language, and then they write what they feel and see...

So, no, I would not call it a coding system, but then again, I do not know what a dual coding system is ;-)

SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

SignWriting List