Print

Print


Then it's probably dual coding. Though I guess someone whose qualifications
are better than just checking the wiki article should confirm.

Le mar. 24 janv. 2017 21:13, <[log in to unmask]> a écrit :

> Well, if that is the case, then "no" -- or not anymore than I have to
> sound out each word in my head to read English.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 24, 2017, at 7:59 PM, Daniel Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> From what I could find on Wikipedia it means that you encode any given
> concept in your mind twice. Once as the verbal (or signed) component of the
> language and once as its written form. You can equally think of the concept
> as either, you don't have to "translate" between forms.
>
> So I guess we could simplify the question to : When you read SignWriting,
> do you have to imagine the sign to understand what's written?
>
> Le mar. 24 janv. 2017 à 13:59, <[log in to unmask]> a écrit :
>
> havn't a clue but will ask Spike
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 24, 2017, at 1:05 PM, Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> SignWriting List
> January 24, 2017
>
> Hi James!
> Thank you for this great explanation. It explains it so well!
>
> Just one last question. What is a "dual" coding system?
>
> Val ;-)
>
> -------
>
>
> On Jan 24, 2017, at 9:57 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> Romance languages use a phonetic coding system: each symbol (or sometimes
> combinations) represent a distinct sound.  Writers who know the code can
> PREDICT how to write the word (albeit not entirely successfully in English,
> given all the exceptions), and readers, even if the meaning of a particular
> word is not known, can predict how the word probably sounds.
>
> SW accomplishes the exact same thing, except that signed languages,
> obviously, are visual rather than sound-based.  Hence, SW is "visually
> phonetic".  If you know the writing code, you can PREDICT how to write the
> sign, and when you see the written sign, you have a pretty good notion how
> to make the sign.  If you already are familiar with the sign, you will
> recognize it when you see it in its written form.
>
> Deaf children learn to read SW just like hearing children learn to read
> Romance languages (being that they all rely on human brains.)  Most
> struggle at first with the phonetic code system (visual or aural) and soon
> adopt a whole-word approach -- which is what you are doing right now if you
> are reading this explanation (but not so much this ecksplanashun.)
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 24, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> SignWriting List
> January 24, 2017
>
> I received this question...
>
> QUESTION:
>
> I was researching more on the dual coding theory of learning and there are
> articles about the deaf and dual coding or imagery.  I started wondering if
> SignWriting is a type of dual coding.
>
>
>
>
> ANSWER:
>
> Thank you for this question.
>
> I am hoping that on the SignWriting List someone can explain to us what
> "dual coding" means. I am sorry that I do not know what it is.
>
> SignWriting is not a coding system. It is a writing system. It is a way to
> write body movement. We can write sign languages with the SignWriting
> Script.
>
> So SignWriting is a writing system for a series of languages - sign
> languages - just like A, B, C and the letters of the Roman alphabet write a
> series of spoken languages - the spoken languages of Europe, such as
> French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and English - all use the Roman
> alphabet symbols to write their unique languages...
>
> So the SignWriting symbols are used to write any sign language in the
> world. The person writing has to know their own sign language, and then
> they write what they feel and see...
>
> So, no, I would not call it a coding system, but then again, I do not know
> what a dual coding system is ;-)
>
> Val ;-)
>
>
> <Valerie Sutton Name Sign.png>
>
>
> Valerie Sutton
> [log in to unmask]
>
> SignWriting
> Read & Write Sign Languages
> http://www.SignWriting.org <http://www.signwriting.org/>
>
> SignWriting List
> Technical Support: Ask questions...
> http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/swlist
> <http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist>
>
> SignWriting Symposium Online
> Live Streaming Presentations on YouTube
> http://www.SignWriting.org/symposium
> <http://www.signwriting.org/symposium>
>
> SignWriting Software
> Use SignPuddle, SignWriter, Delegs
> Write Sign Documents & Dictionaries
> *http://www.signwriting.org/downloads
> <http://www.signwriting.org/downloads>*
> *http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/
> <http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/>*
>
> SignWriting Encyclopedia Projects
> Writing Encyclopedias in Sign Languages
> http://www.SignWriting.org/encyclopedia
> <http://www.signwriting.org/encyclopedia>
>
> American Sign Language Wikipedia
> *https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ase
> <https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ase>*
>
> Tunisian Sign Language Wikipedia
> *https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/tse
> <https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/tse>*
>
> SignWriting Shop
> Books, DVDs, Lessons, Services
> http://www.SignWriting.org/shop <http://www.signwriting.org/shop>
>
> SignWriting on Twitter
> http://twitter.com/signwriting
> https://twitter.com/ASLWikipedia
>
> SignWriting on YouTube
> http://youtube.com/signwriting
>
> SignWriting on Facebook
> http://facebook.com/SignWriting
>
> Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
> Center For Sutton Movement Writing
> a US educational nonprofit organization
> PO Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038, USA
> Tel: 858-456-0098 <(858)%20456-0098>  Skype: valeriesutton
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> SIGNWRITING LIST INFORMATION
>
> Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator [log in to unmask]
>
> Post Messages to the SignWriting List: [log in to unmask]
>
> SignWriting List Archives & Home Page
> http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist
>
> Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages
> http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> SIGNWRITING LIST INFORMATION
>
> Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator [log in to unmask]
>
> Post Messages to the SignWriting List: [log in to unmask]
>
> SignWriting List Archives & Home Page
> http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist
>
> Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages
> http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1 <Valerie
> Sutton Name Sign.png>
>
>
> Val ;-)
>
>
> <Valerie Sutton Name Sign.png>
>
>
> Valerie Sutton
> [log in to unmask]
>
> SignWriting
> Read & Write Sign Languages
> http://www.SignWriting.org
>
> SignWriting List
> Technical Support: Ask questions...
> http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/swlist
>
> SignWriting Symposium Online
> Live Streaming Presentations on YouTube
> http://www.SignWriting.org/symposium
>
> SignWriting Software
> Use SignPuddle, SignWriter, Delegs
> Write Sign Documents & Dictionaries
> *http://www.signwriting.org/downloads
> <http://www.signwriting.org/downloads>*
> *http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/
> <http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/>*
>
> SignWriting Encyclopedia Projects
> Writing Encyclopedias in Sign Languages
> http://www.SignWriting.org/encyclopedia
>
> American Sign Language Wikipedia
> *https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ase
> <https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ase>*
>
> Tunisian Sign Language Wikipedia
> *https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/tse
> <https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/tse>*
>
> SignWriting Shop
> Books, DVDs, Lessons, Services
> http://www.SignWriting.org/shop
>
> SignWriting on Twitter
> http://twitter.com/signwriting
> https://twitter.com/ASLWikipedia
>
> SignWriting on YouTube
> http://youtube.com/signwriting
>
> SignWriting on Facebook
> http://facebook.com/SignWriting
>
> Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
> Center For Sutton Movement Writing
> a US educational nonprofit organization
> PO Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038, USA
> Tel: 858-456-0098 <(858)%20456-0098>  Skype: valeriesutton
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> SIGNWRITING LIST INFORMATION
>
> Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator [log in to unmask]
>
> Post Messages to the SignWriting List: [log in to unmask]
>
> SignWriting List Archives & Home Page
> http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist
>
> Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages
> http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> SIGNWRITING LIST INFORMATION
>
> Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator [log in to unmask]
>
> Post Messages to the SignWriting List: [log in to unmask]
>
> SignWriting List Archives & Home Page
> http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist
>
> Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages
> http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> SIGNWRITING LIST INFORMATION
>
> Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator [log in to unmask]
>
> Post Messages to the SignWriting List: [log in to unmask]
>
> SignWriting List Archives & Home Page
> http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist
>
> Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages
> http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> SIGNWRITING LIST INFORMATION
>
> Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator [log in to unmask]
>
> Post Messages to the SignWriting List: [log in to unmask]
>
> SignWriting List Archives & Home Page
> http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist
>
> Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages
> http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1
>

________________________________________________


SIGNWRITING LIST INFORMATION

Valerie Sutton
SignWriting List moderator
[log in to unmask]

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
[log in to unmask]

SignWriting List Archives & Home Page
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist

Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages
http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1