Looking at F2 and F5 may not be the same handshape and orientation.
Think of a flat right hand pointing forward, the back of the hand to the right. That is the same orientation on the left hand rotated with the back of the hand to the left. Without other parameters added (like a movement, one cannot see at a glance that on the right hand the thumb is up, on the left hand the thumb is down. So it is not just the orientation. Some nulls are not really nulls, but awkward positions as either hand cannot take a position unless one is a contortionist.  Charles Butler [log in to unmask] 240-764-5748 Clear writing moves business forward.

      From: Claudia S. Bianchini <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:32 AM
 Subject: Question on Unicode

Hello Steve (and everybody)
I'm working on my bookchapter on SW and I'm analysing your work on Unicode.
I've a question... I hope I'll menage to ask it clearly in english!
When you add a modifier "R2-3-4-...-16" to an HANDSHAPE it will change the hand and the angle.... when you add a modifier "F2-3-4-5-6" it will  modify the side of the hand you will see...  And for the moment no problem! For each hanshape you have 96 possibilities.
When you add a modifier "R2-...-16" to a HAND MOVEMENT it will modify the side of rotation and the angle... when you add a modifier "F2...6" it will modify the hand that is moving (left, right, both). HERE IS MY QUESTION... for this modification you just need no-F (F1), F2 and F3... you dont need F4, F5 and F6 because for every movement you just have 48 possibilities...
1) what happen if I use F4, F5 and F6 fo modify a hand movement?
2) F4 will act exactly as no-F (and F2=F5 and F3=F6)? or will I get a "void" caracter, so I can't add F4 to a hand movement? I think that you are using opentype to create a good font for SW, right? I'm not very good in this field, but I think that this problem belong to opentype not to unicode, right? So what have you done with opentype....
3) If I'm a researcher and I need to find every single Hand Movement with F2, how can I get also the one with F5 (F2=F5) without going crazy doing strange queries... I reformulate... is there something (not me!) that will know that HandMov+F2 is the same that HandMov+F5 and will give me both when I just serach HandMOv+F2?

I hope I've been clear enought...

ThanksClaudia

Claudia S. Bianchini, PhD
MCF Licence SDL-LSF, Univ. Poitiers
Laboratoire EA3816-FoReLL
Université de Poitiers - UFR Lettres et Langues (Bât. A3)
1 rue Raymond CANTEL - TSA 11102
86073 POITIERS CEDEX 9
________________________________________________SIGNWRITING LIST INFORMATIONValerie SuttonSignWriting List [log in to unmask] Messages to the SignWriting List:[log in to unmask] List Archives & Home Pagehttp://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlistJoin, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messageshttp://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1