Hi Val,

Rachel was using the new SignWriting in Unicode (SWU) characters of 2017.  To see those characters, you need to have the Sutton SignWriting One-D font installed.

https://slevinski.github.io/SuttonSignWriting/assets/SuttonSignWritingOneD.ttf

Simply download and open to install.

Looking at Rachel's previous email, the SignWriting symbols have the font correctly set to "SuttonSignWritingOneD".  So if you have the new font installed, you will see the symbols.

Regards,
-Steve