For a number of years we have been providing sign language workshop for deaf children on our sister island, Ometepe, Nicaragua (Nicaraguan Sign Language).    Last January a delegation went to Ometepe to teach SignWriting to the people who attend our workshops.

A very good introduction to basic SignWriting I used when I was learning  is the book by Valerie Sutton:  "SignWriting Basics".  On the SignWriting website, if you click on books, you'll see this one in the upper left-hand corner (the cover has a man in a red shirt in three different poses). It's only about 15 pages.    A much more detailed version is the Signwriting book by Steve and Diane Parkhurst, which I think is #6 at this link-- close to 150 pages. You can download or buy either of these.

Dale Spoor, Chair
Special Needs Committee
Bainbridge Ometepe Sister Islands Association