October 8, 2019

Hi João -
The symbols themselves have an order too. The SignSpelling Sequence works together with the established order of symbols in the International SignWriting Alphabet. The order of the symbols and the order of the SignSpelling work together to make sorting dictionaries work. Here is another document that might be of interest:

The SignWriting Alphabet (lists the order of symbols or SignSymbolSequence)
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs7/sw0636_SignWriting_Alphabet_Manual_2010.pdf

So based on the sequence of symbols in the SignWriting Alphabet, a handshape is sorted first by Palm Orientation and then by Rotation (Angle).

If you need more detail I will be delighted to help you with examples.

Unfortuantely I have two deadlines that are taking my time this evening, but later I look forward to working with you on this.

Adam, do you know better how to explain phonological order?

Val ;-)