SignWriting List
January 15, 2020

Hello Mark and Adam -
Thank you for this interesting discussion about the name "SignPuddle". Adam's answer is poetic and accurate. The idea behind it, as Adam said, is that as more and more signs are written on the web, one visitor and one sign at a time, the databases of written signs from different sign languages grows, becoming small pools or puddles, and then, becoming larger like an ocean. The SignPuddle database is quite large now, with extensive writing in sign languages, since 2004.

That is the poetic answer ;-)

The practical answer is that back in 2004, I met software developer Steve Slevinski, in a Deaf chat room online. They were playing blackjack cards written in SignWriting with a cool program that Steve had developed. So of course I introduced myself and asked Steve if he would be interested in developing more software for SignWriting. I found out that Steve had started his own organization called PUDL. He told me that it stood for "Pittsburgh United For Deaf Literacy". So the software that was called "PUDL" (pronounced "P-U-D-D-L-E") became SignPuddle.

Steve also has other software, such as "SignMaker" and "SignText". The "SignPuddle" name has been used now for 16 years. People remember the name because it is so unusual, a little like the name "Google" which is an unusual name too!

Steve - want to add to the story behind the name "SignPuddle"?

Val ;-)