Hello Mark,

Welcome to the SignWriting List! Thank you for your questions. I will answer your questions about where the name “SignPuddle” came from first. Then the next email I will answer your question about cursive writing.

I’m sure that Valerie and Stephen Slevinski can go into more detail about the reasoning behind the name “SignPuddle”, but I can tell you what it implies for me.

Imagine a field with hundreds of rain puddles. Each of these puddles are filled with droplets, and each droplet contains a sign used in specific sign language. The result is each puddle is a collection of signs for a given sign language.

Adam