SignWriting List
November 10, 2021

Hello SW List, and welcome Alex Garcia, as a new member of the SW List!

Thank you, Alex, for contacting me through Facebook Messenger, and telling me about your work with Deaf-Blind issues. I am very impressed, of course, with all you are doing for the world. I am happy you accepted my invitation to join the SignWriting List, because we have several members of our List, who are either Deaf-Blind themselves, or who have experience with using SignWriting for Deaf-Blind communication.

Just recently, there have been two Congresses, or presentations, related to SignWriting in Brazil, and in both there have been mentions of SignWriting possibly used in Deaf-Blind communication.

In one presentation, Adam Frost presented SignWriting:

Adam Frost SignWrfiting Presentation
CICLO ACADÊMICO EM LIBRAS- 19/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzZR7P7ASco

...and there was a question following his presentation, about the idea of raising the outline of each SignWriting symbol so that people can feel the symbol by following the 3-D outline with their fingertips. I thought both the question, and Adam’s answer, were excellent and started me to think about this issue.

The question on the video starts around 1:24:50, but the entire video is really excellent!

As you can see by this attached screen capture, the sign is raised like 3-D.

If there is anyone here on the SW List who has opinions, please feel free to post them - Discussions are so important. What do you think, Alex?

Val ;-)