Monospaced Font

SW-L  May 2010

SW-L May 2010

Re: spelling question F-hands like in "Deaflympics"

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 May 2010 07:34:37 -0700

text/plain (13 lines) , Intertwining_fingers.jpg (13 lines) , text/plain (39 lines) , Deaflympics.png (39 lines) , F-Hände Kontaktsymbol.jpg (39 lines) , text/plain (4 lines)

SignWriting List
May 30, 2010

Hello Stefan!
Thanks for this question and the great photos. We have the same handshape relationships in ASL too...for lots of signs.

There are actually three points I would like to share with you ...

1. Did you know you can show the two hands intertwining? Here are two examples. See the little curved overlapping that shows they are intertwining. To create this in SignPuddle, place one handshape a little over the other one, and then use the small curved line for the "Simultaneous Movement"...the "Same-Time curved line" in Dynamics - to create the curve inside the circles...so now they really look like they are intertwining...

2. Once you have made them look like they are intertwining, why do you really need any Contact symbol, when you can see it the way the hands look in the writing? Here in our organization, we are starting to only use Contact symbols when the picture of the two hands together cannot show the way it really looks in real life, but if the writing can visually show the true relationship of the hands, and no information will be lost if the Contact is not written, then we don't choose to write the Contact to simplify the writing...

Yesterday I sent you a copy of some books, Stefan - yes - the box was shipped yesterday finally! And in the box is one copy of the Gospel According to John, the first seven chapters bound in a book...and you will see that in that writing, we are writing without very many Contact symbols - to simplify the writing.

3. If you want to write a Contact symbol, then I suspect either one of these three will be understood: Touch-Between, Grasp-Between, or even plain Grasp without the Between would be understood too...

So for me, what really matters is getting the two handshapes to look like they are intertwined...

No matter what you choose will be fine!

Thanks for the question -

Val ;-)

---------