SW-L  June 2010

SW-L June 2010

Fixing a fundamental flaw in Binary SIgnWriting

Steve Slevinski <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:49:09 -0500

Hi List,

This is a technical discussion.  Nothing is going to change regarding
the writing system.  The change is only data related.

Back in 2008, I made a poor design choice for Binary SignWriting.   I
needed to define what was a character for the encoding model.  I decided
that each symbol should be a character.  Some others (Stuart Thiessen,
Michael Everson, members of the WLDC, ...) thought that each BaseSymbol
should be a character with an individual symbol being defined as a
BaseSymbol character with one or two modifying characters.

Encoding with symbol characters seemed the better choice, rather than
using 3 times the amount of data to say the same thing.  I was wrong.
My choice made searching by BaseSymbol much more difficult.  I was
forced to pre-process the data before I could search.  This was wasted
effort.  I realized the erro