SW-L  July 2010

SW-L July 2010

Re: finger direction matters

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:32:35 -0700

July 10, 2010

Hello Ingvild!
Thank you for this message ;-)

I really miss our long conversations...Maybe we can meet on Skype? Let's try - Just because we do not travel, does not mean we can't see each other and visit (as if we are in each other's homes) - the miracles of Skype, iChat, ooVoo, and other software, is really remarkable...

So write to me privately with a good time so we can chat on Skype - unless you prefer another software, like ooVoo? I understand that is becoming popular too...

Recently I used iChat for the first time for a conference call with three people (we were all on Macs), and I was really impressed with the multiple video viewings of more than one person - I am still learning iChat though...

So let's Skype - Look forward to it -

Val ;-)

On Jul 10, 2010, at 6:15 AM, Ingvild Roald wrote:

> Thank you, Val,
>
> for this answer - I see that I would have written the sign in the same way, so we agree, no misunderstanding - good.
>
> And yes, I did meet with the DAC back tehn, and I have had the joy of visiting you a couple of times more in La Jolla, and also to meet you in Copenhagen, so we go back a long way.
>
> It is such a joy and pleassure to know you and to be part of the work, and I am so happy that more and more people are understanding the importance and possibilities, and are joining in.
>
> All the best to all,
>
> Ingvild

------- On Jul 5, 2010, at 2:19 AM, Ingvild Roald wrote: > In the MOVEMENT sign, both hands are turned the same way. Is that correct? Do the hands turn a little sideways when they move? Or should they both be pointed towards center and just move sideways? If you do not know the actual sign language, you do not know how to read this (but then, this will be the case when signwriting is more used and standards for each sign language are stabilising themselves ... the rules will differ somewhat according to the sign languages). > > Ingvild > > > > > Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 21:21:41 -0700 > > From: [log in to unmask] > > Subject: finger direction matters > > To: [log in to unmask] > > > > SignWriting List > > July 1st, 2010 > > > > I would also like to point out that if one looks at documents written around the world, that writers tend to follow the direction of the fingers. Here is an example. I have seen this handshape written both ways, and I feel both are readable, because when the handshape is parallel to the floor, there is the small space or break at the fingers to tell us that, and the black back of the hand tells us that we are viewing the back of the hand parallel to the floor. So either handshape in the attached diagram can be read. But the writing of the fingers directed down seems logical and the most visual for me...and I tend to write it that way. Like in the sign for MOVEMENT attached. Finger direction is important for reading signs quickly because meaning is held in the finger direction...so writing it as close to the way it looks in real life is important: > >

Top of M