SW-L  January 2011

SW-L January 2011

SW E-Lesson 0097: Neck and Shoulders

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:07:07 -0800

January 11, 2011

New SignWriting E-Lesson Posted: Question 0097
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less083.html

QUESTION 0097

Contact on the NECK and SHOULDERS
How do we write a movement that is relating to the lower part of the neck? Do I use the Shoulder Line and place the hands on top of the Shoulder Line? The movement looks too low on the chest when I write it that way, and the hands cover up the Shoulder Line and it is hard to read the hands on top of the Shoulders...

ANSWER 0097

The Neck Symbol is attached to the circle for the Head:

It is used to write signs that relate to the neck. It can also be used to write signs that are located NEAR the lower part of the neck or top part of the shoulders. So, if you are having trouble writing a sign that takes place at the shoulders or lower neck region, you can use the Neck Symbol instead of the Shoulder LIne, if that will make the writing of the sign clearer. The Neck Symbol is also useful, if your sign is near the shoulders, and also has a facial expression. Since the Neck Symbol is attached to a Head Circle, the writing of the sign is very compact since the facial expression can be placed in the circle for the head. Here are some examples. Choosing writing the Neck Symbol or the Shoulder Line are both correct. It is a matter of choice as to what looks the best:
Val ;-) Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator [log in to unmask] Post Messages to the SignWriting List: [log in to unmask] SignWriting List Archives & Home Page http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages http://listserv.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1