SW-L  July 2012

SW-L July 2012

How many symbols do we use in SignWriting?

MARIA GALEA <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:08:53 +0200

Hi everyone on the List,
a few years back (2009!!) we had this discussion - how many symbols are
used for SignWriting - there were many answers and arguments and Steve's
straightforward answer is pasted below:

"In raw numbers, the ISWA 2008 defines 30 SymbolGroups, 639 BaseSymbols,
and 35023 symbols.   The first 250 BaseSymbols are hand shapes."

Since then we've had the ISWA 2010 and the ISWA 2012 - are there any
updates to this number..I'm trying to go through these manuals to find
numbers but haven't yet managed to locate them.. I thought maybe it would
work faster just to ask.

thanks a lot dear friends,
maria