SW-L July 2012

Re: Co-ordinating Puddle/s

MARIA GALEA <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Jul 2012 23:51:16 +0200

Thanks Bill for your help,
I'm not very technical minded so this sounds very complex and daunting! :)
I'll see if maybe Steve can step me through it. Mainly I want to create
copies of files in our private puddle and in our dictionary puddle for our
literature puddle. I want a complete literature puddle so that i can get
some sound statistical information from it regarding the frequency of
symbols for Maltese Sign language literature writing..
fingers crossed i don't blunder!
maria

> A fast way to do what Steve is suggesting for the ID numbers would be to
> do a search and replace in OpenOffice Writer. Here's how:
>
> In the Find and Replace Window click on the "More Options" button then
> select the "Regular Expressions" box.
>
> Now, because the existing numbers are single, double and triple digits,
> we would need to do a find and replace for each set.
>
> Start with the set of the largest numbers - triple digits (ie, 122, 456,
> 786, etc)
>
> In the Find box, put this: id="[:digit:]{3}"
> In the Replace box, put this: id="1&
> Click on Replace All (for example: this will change id="122" to
> id="1id="122", an intermediate step
> Now do a search and replace for 1id=" and replace with 1 (this will
> change the example from id="1id="122" to id="1122", which is what you
> want.
>
> You do it this way so that you are adding 1000 to all the numbers
> instead of just appending "100" to the numbers, which would result in
> "1002", "10044", "100122", which is not what you want. Also we have to
> start with the largest so that we don't inadvertently find the wrong
> numbers as we process the file. For instance, if we changed "2" to
> "12", then when we search for 2 digit numbers next we would find that
> and change it to "112", which is not what you want.
>
> So the next search and replace would be for 2 digit numbers.
> Search for id="[:digit:]{2}" and Replace with id="1&
> Then search for 1id=" and Replace with 10 (notice this is different
> than the first set of numbers, for which we replaced with just 1)
> For example: this will change 44 to 1044
>
> The last search and replace would be for single digit numbers
> Search for id="[:digit:]{1}" and Replace with id="1&
> Then search for 1id=" and Replace with 100
> For example: this will change 2 to 1002
>
> Of course, if you're not sure that you don't have more than 1000 entries
> in your file, you can start by searching for 4 digit numbers. If you do
> find 4 digit numbers then you'll want to increase the numbers by 10000,
> not 1000 and take that into account when changing the intermediate step
> for each set of digits.
>
> Bill
>

> On 7/6/2012 11:18 AM, Steve Slevinski wrote:
>>
>> On 7/4/12 4:24 AM, MARIA GALEA wrote:
>>> Hi Steve and the List,
>>>
>>> For Maltese Sign Language we have 3 Puddles that have been used - the
>>> Literature, the Dictionary and the Private Puddle.
>>>
>>> I would like to organize the entries so I would like to move things to
>>> and
>>> from these different Puddles. Is there any way I can do this fast