Monospaced Font

SW-L  August 2012

SW-L August 2012

Re: An alphabet for a specific sign language from the ISWA 2010

MARIA GALEA <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Aug 2012 23:49:14 +0200

Thank you Madson for directing me to your work.

I am interested in purchasing the book my only problem is that I do not
read Portuguese so I am not sure I will be able to follow.

Wow this is very interesting - I would really appreciate if you could
direct me to any previous publications about the 64 / 75 handshapes - as
this is very close to the number of handshapes I came up with for LSM.

111 handshapes is a large list - are all handshapes significant? so with
the less frequent handshapes, if they are replaced by a more frequent and
yet similar handshape do they not remain readable? What I'm asking here
in linguistic terms is - are all the handshapes phonemes of LIBRAS or
would you say there are some handshapes that are phonetic details?

Thank you very much for your feedback - Val has actually mentioned your
work several times with me- I am quite amazed at how widespread
SignWriting is in Brazil- this is wonderful!!! Well done to you and your
wife, and keep up the good work,

maria