SW-L September 2012

Re: New handshapes for the ISWA 2010

MARIA GALEA <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:30:16 +0200

Hi Steve, Adam and Charles,

I see your point - and agree fully. If creating new symbols is a means of
empowerment and ownership of the writing system - then that over-rides all
other theoretical issues.

In fact Florian Coulmas, who has written extensively about writing
systems, has actually stressed and couldn't underline enough the
importance of a community's acceptance of a writing system - without that
its all in vain.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention - and I'm glad that is your
priority - a