SW-L  July 2015

SW-L July 2015

Re: Learning About Signwriting - Was Re: Presentation 42

Stephen E Slevinski Jr <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Jul 2015 17:22:10 -0500

On 7/24/15 4:20 PM, Adrean Clark wrote:

> One example of that is the Symposium. The presentations are a good
> idea but it feels like academics talking with academics or programmers
> speaking with programmers. Where would everyday people like me come
> in? Are we even a part of the intended audience? It's impossible to be
> universal when everyone has separate, specific needs.

Interesting points.  The symposium is for everyone.  For each person,
some topics will be more valuable than others.  I know that some of my
presentations were very detailed.  Not everyone needs this information,
but some do.

The presentations at the symposium are about SignWriting.  Whoever wants
to present, is invited to present.  The symposium is what people make of
it.

> To be direct, and I'm sharing my personal feelings here -- I feel that
> it's unfair that I, a native speaker of ASL, log in to Signwriting's
> presentations only to see spoken voice as the main means of access to
> information. How can I trust that Signwriting has the best interests
> of SL at heart when the barrier to entry is so high, and when it
> echoes the very oppression of spoken language that written SL is
> supposed to overcome?

This is a fair point and a valid concern.  We struggled with this issue,
but decided it was better to do what we could rather than fight technology.

Last year we tried live interpreting, but the technology was frustrating
and got in the way.  We have plans for captioning and interpreting, but
it is a big job.

With 3 people, no budget, and a lot of inspiring presenters, I believe
the symposium was a great success.  We have plans to make the
information more widely accessible.  Please be patient.

Regards,
-Steve