From: "Ulrike Zeshan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: October 23, 2010 11:36:51 PM PDT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: new sign language typology project - first call for participation

NEW SIGN LANGUAGE TYPOLOGY PROJECT  -  CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

The Sign Language Typology Research Group, now located at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston, UK, is ready to begin another large-scale cross-linguistic study on the structure of sign languages around the world. This is the third such project, after completing studies on “interrogative and negative constructions” and on “possessive and existential constructions”.

PROJECT

This project will look at semantic fields within the lexicon of sign languages. We will study colour terms, kinship terms, number systems, and sensory perception (“seeing” and “hearing”) across ca. 30 sign languages from all regions of the world. As in the previous projects, individuals or research groups can participate. We normally work with co-researchers from ca. 15-20 countries.

PROCEDURE

We will first establish contact with co-researchers through an initial background questionnaire. If both parties agree to collaborate, we then send out research materials, consisting of typological questionnaires and various game activities. The latter are designed to elicit data from the target domains. All data are compiled for a comparative analysis, and the results are shared with all our partners. Selected contributions are published in an edited volume at the end of the project

FURTHER INFORMATION

Groups and individuals who are interested in participating in this project can contact Ulrike Zeshan ([log in to unmask]) or the project assistant Keiko Sagara ([log in to unmask]) for further information. The project is based at the International Institute for Sign Languages and Deaf Studies (iSLanDS) in Preston, UK. For information about the Institute, see www.uclan.ac.uk/islands. For information about the sign language typology project, click on “Research@iSLanDS” - “Themes” - “Sign Language Typology”.

For information about the publication of project results, see these previous volumes:

Zeshan, Ulrike (2006a) (ed.): Interrogative and negative constructions in sign languages. Sign Language Typology Series No. 1. Nijmegen: Ishara Press.

Zeshan, Ulrike & Pamela Perniss (eds.) (2008): Possessive and existential constructions in sign languages. Sign Language Typology Series No. 2. Nijmegen: Ishara Press.

Please feel free to distribute this Call for Participation to other people and organisations who might be interested in contributing. For this project, all research materials are available in English and International Sign.

Prof. Ulrike Zeshan
Director, International Institute for Sign Languages and Deaf Studies
International School for Communities, Rights, and Inclusion
Livesey House, LH212
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR12HE, UK
Ph. +44-1772-893104