Von: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Charles Butler
Gesendet: Sonntag, 12. Dezember 2010 00:14
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: AW: Creating a sign language ordered dictionary

Okay, when Valerie first came out with Sign Writing for Everyday Use, we had an order to the signs within each group, following in a logical order from straight to bent to curled.  With the growth of the system, handshapes have been added without a logical progression so that missing ones may be inferred but there is no order to them.

For a complete dictionary, in sign order, then pushing "Sign Frequency" will print them by group and in order of the numbers of the codes, but that coding is not consistent across the board.

When I teach the system, I teach it in an order, Group 1, then Group 2, then Group 3, then Group 4, but i also attempt to put the actual handshapes in a logical order, and at the moment that varies from sign language to sign language depending on which handshapes are actually used in the language.

I published, some time ago, a proposed system to put

1) handshape

2) orientation starting from facing the reader, half left or right, back of hand, face up, forward half left or right, face down

3) rotation from vertical rotating clockwise.

4) --- second handshape would fit here if more than one hand is in the sign, orientation, rotation

4A - I put location here, Valerie puts it at the end, from her experiments with Deaf looking up signs.

5) --- contact (touch, strike, brush, rub)

6) --- finger movement

7) --- vertical movement

8) --- horizontal movement

9) --- curved vertical movement

10) --- curved horizontal movement

11) --- circles

12) --- speed

13) --- facial expressions

So, for example, the following are in Sign-Symbol-Sequence Order for me.  All two handed signs come after all one handed signs for the same orientation.

image.php.png  = Group 1, primary orientation, no movement

image.php.png = Group 1, primary orientation, movement vertical,

image.php.png = Group 1, primary orientation, first hand, group one, primary orientation second hand, movement horizontal, facial involvement (ALL TWO HANDED SIGNS COME AFTER ONE HANDED SIGNS)

image.php.png = Group 1, primary orientation, first hand, group 5, back of hand, second hand, movement horizontal (GROUP 5 comes after GROUP 1)

image.php.png = Group 1, second orientation, 45 counter clockwise, circular motion, facial involvement

image.php.png - Group 1, first hand, second orientation, 45 counter clockwise, Group 1, crooked handshape, finger movement, finger movement.  Is this before the one above from the finger movement?

(SKIPPING A FEW)

image.php.png = Group 5, first hand, forward, half, 45 counter clockwise, Group 5, second hand, forward, half, 45 clockwise, held in between, forward twice

image.php.png  Group 5, side forward, half, 45 counter clockwise, Group 5 side forward, half, 45 clockwise, held in between, twice forward twice, slow

The Sign Symbol Sequence may order the signs if each of them has been ordered, but I have not sufficiently experimented to see if one enters signs and then orders them by one's chosen order whether the "symbol frequency" will follow that order.