Hello Valerie, hello Fernando and friends of the sw-list,...

after a looooong ride with the bus I returned with lots and lots of very interesting impressions from a visit to school in Poland.

To share the most important experience first – ha – Woehrmann’s speechwriting  as Valerie calls my invention to standardize movements of articulation even if performed without any sound –(like the German do very often within their SL-performance, besides mouth-gestic and mimic) works pretty good for polish spoken language as well. – big smile –

Second: My deaf students showed such a tremendous pride in the task to compare German Sign Language to Polish Sign Language and thanks to Valerie and her incredible ingenious invention these folks sat together at the table and wrote, and wrote and wrote one sign after the next and the polish deaf students have had no problem ( ha – of course not – to identify the first couple of “pictograms” as I call SignWriting-graphics as long as the reader does not know the meaning of the single symbols ... The newcomer just remembers the whole “graphic” as a meaningful representation of a sign: forest, Poland, speech, quiet, Germany, colour, ...

You cannot imagine – or well , if you have seen this yourself a couple of time  your know what I am talking about.

The two schools of Germany and Poland are participants in a Comenius exchange program all over Europe. Our idea is to get informed about each other,  our culture, language, history, background, living conditions .... school system ...

Well I sat down and thanks to my colleague M. Riemann who is a very skilled expert if it come down to write GebaerdenSchrift by hand I practiced a lot to achieve a higher level in handwriting myself- smile.

Now in Poland  we got the task to write a given story for children in Signwriting.  There are not that many signs in the Polish dictionary so far so my colleague at that school and me spent some hours to get a first draft of the signed Polish version. At this school in Poland they are very much interested to support deaf children to use SL as a tool to support Spoken Language acquisition. I could not believe that the symbolset for speechwriting in Gebaerdenschrift is aleady well established to describe polish mouth movements pretty sharp. The teacher in Poland showed so much interest and motivation and asked me almost always to add the whole (!!!) number of speechwriting-symbols in order to describe the information coming from the mouth as detailed as possible. - ;-)

It will be a  challenge – dear Fernando – to give it a try whether the system I developed so far would be sufficient as well to describe the information coming from the mouth of a signer in Brazil.

Know what – I can understand your feelings of enthusiasm. We psychologists get kind of idea about the doors we will be able to open to our deaf students if we can offer additional tools that allow them to associate spoken language with their easy to learn Sign language fundament.

It took me very long – many years to improve this Speechwriting system – and the graphics and symbols you refer to are “history”  - big smile. Today  we use a very nice and easy to understand symbol set that is not any more a mixture of hand and facial expression symbols.

You may contact me privately so that we can discuss what kind of materials I will be able to offer to you. You can be sure that it will be my pleasure to support you and to share my knowledge in this field.

The whole matter is a little bit complicated since we have to understand that there are two completely different symbol – sets and ideas.

Mundbildschrift is the notation system invented by me to document that a given symbol – and only this  one(!)  is to be associated with a given sound of speech. This system is a wonderful, wonderful very powerful tool to support deaf students to learn to articulate any (!!!!!) given language – not just German (!) if the sounds of the language in question have been defined. You can compare this Mundbildschrift  “Woehrmann´s Speechwriting” to the IPA  = One symbol – one sound – and very easy to read even for very young children at age  3 or 4 years (!!!!)

The other system is what the deaf student is confronted with all the time: The guessing-game called “lip reading”   not every symbol has just one option in the spoken language system. This notation system is not to be confused with “Woehrmann´s Speechwriting”  ... I call it Mundbilder in GebaerdenSchrift.

Well – what a long message – smile . I should stop and wait for your answer.

All the best

Stefan

Wow, Valerie!!!

Your message gave me goosebumps!

Thank you so very much for calling my attention to Stefan Woehrmann's amazingly important work!

I felt that sort of thrill running up and down my spinal cord that signals when I am before something of true importance!

Woehrmann's strategy of using Sutton's SignWriting to write speech... SpeechWriting... is just brilliant!

Gosh, you guys are awesome! That is precisely what I needed! Wow!

Over the last 20 years my crew and I have documented the cheremic structure and the morphemic structures of the Libras lexicon, and over the last 12 years we have benefited from SignWriting as a way of writing down those parameters. Over the last 8 years my crew and I have documented visemis structure of Portuguese (specially in its correspondence to phonemic and graphemic structures). We have also created a number of instruments and documented the parameters of language development of deaf population. During all that time we had been dreaming of reconciling and articulating the efforts of two fronts in order to overcome the apparent schizophrenic state of affairs in deaf education:

Lately, on one hand we had been studying Cued Speech and Visual phonics and their benefits for literacy acquisition. On the other hand, we had been planning the systematic study of the benefits of SignWriting for metalinguistic development and literacy acquisition. Now, your message simply makes the perfect match between those extremes, fills the gap, restores the cycle of sanity and progress.

Valerie: Ientered the page you send me. I saw beautiful Irina's picture, and it just warmed my heart. She was pointing at the SpeechWriting unit and was emiting the corresponding lalemic unit. So the correspondence viseme-SpeechWriting was there, beautifully illustrated. (Oh, if we just had the table of visemes-grapheme-SpeechWriting units with the corresponding symbol transcription in the International Phonetic Alphabet!!!.) Then, below, there was a series of six pictures of that handsome blond boy illustrating 6 visemes-grapheme-SpeechWriting units. Great! That is precisely the sort of correspondences we need! (But we need the whole table of visemes-grapheme-SpeechWriting units with the corresponding symbol transcription in the International Phonetic Alphabet!!!) Then, by clicking below:

http://www.gebaerdenschrift.de/read/Mundbilder/uebersicht_mundbilder.htm#Übersicht Mundbilder

it appears a wonderful table (and he did that back in 2002!) from A to Eu, along with pictures of visemes! (Oh, Gosh! The only thing mising is the International Phonetic Alphabet transcription! Just that to make it perfect!)

by clicking

http://www.gebaerdenschrift.de/images/SW%20symbols/animated/wo_ist_meine_mama.htm#gordian_weint

we watch the baby crying for his mother: "where is my mother"

great! amazing!

Beautiful work!

Could it be possible to complete that incredible page by adding the International Phonetic Alphabet transcription?

In the new expanded edition of the Novo Deit-Libras I have written a large chapter describing a new paradigm for lexical research in Sign languages, as well as a 100 page chapter describing a new paradigm for speech-written-signed language research in which I included a section on SignWriting as a tremendous resource (where I provide references of books, theses, and site), as well a section on Cued Speech and Visual Phonics (where I provide references of books, theses, and site). Now I do want to include a section on SpeechWriting, and I need more sources of references to cite. I need to provide references to books, theses, chapters, articles, as well as the site. Therefore I would like to ask  Stefan Woehrmann and Valerie if they have papers, chapters, publications I could cite in our dictionary in order to help people know of SpeechWriting. I would also like to ask Stefan and Valerie and other colleagues who know the International Phonetic Alphabet as well as German whether they could provide the International Phonetic Alphabet transcription of each viseme depicted in those pictures in pages such as:

http://www.gebaerdenschrift.de/read/Mundbilder/mundbilder_a_bis_z01.htm#Jo spricht B

that is, we need at least from spricht A to spricht EU.

The new edition off our NOVO DEIT-LIBRAS is to go to print in 3 weeks, and it would be so good if I could include as much information as possble on SpeechWriting. That is why I need references to be able to list and divulge. It would also be of the utmost importance to have the SpeechWriting units corresponding to the IPA units, at least in German and English (should there be one).  People do have to know more about it. And we, here in Brazil, have to adapt SpeechWriting to write down the Portuguese visemes, so as to be able to use it as a way of writing down Brazilian-Portuguese speech and also implementing Cued Speech and Visual Phonics in a much improved way.

Som what we can do now to help kids is to (with due credits to you, guys, inventors of SpeechWriting) use your SpeechWriting to write down the orofacial patterns of Portuguese! Would you please tell me whether Stefan Woehrmann has mapped the visemes of the spoken German? Does he have a table of correspondences among visemes, graphemes, SpeechWriting units, International Phonetic Alphabet transcriptions?

Stefan Woehrmann: are you there? Can you please send us the table of correspondences among visemes, graphemes, SpeechWriting units, International Phonetic Alphabet transcriptions? Along with papers you have written that we may cite in our papers and chapters and books?

We now need terribly a table of correspondences among visemes, graphemes, SpeechWriting units, International Phonetic Alphabet transcriptions based on the International Phonetic Alphabet, so that we might write down each and every spoken language conceivable. It would be of the utmost importance if the inventors of the SpeechWriting system could lay down all SpeechWriting units linked to the International Phonetic Alphabet.

That would allow us to speechwrite each and every language.

The first step would be for Stefan to add the International Phonetic Alphabet transcription of the visemes illustrated in his pictures, so as to allow the speechwriting of German.

Stefan, could you please provide the table of SpeechWriting units for the visemes of German along with IPA transcriptions?

(The first step would be to add the International Phonetic Alphabet transcription beside each picture.)

Sorry for the enthusiasm. It is invluntary. The culprit is this funny pink cloud that seems not to go away. What an enduring great feeling! I am experiencing a state of grace! Inspiration feels just great! Thank you for that! (I feel 30 years younger and 90 pounds lighter! -hah!)

Fernando