February 12, 2011

On Feb 12, 2011, at 7:23 PM, Carole Griffin wrote:

Hello, my name is Carole Griffin, and I just recently learned about
SignWriting. That is so  cool! I have long thought that deaf people needed
to have their own written language, just like blind people have Braille
(right?). can anyone tell me how I can start learning SignWriting? I can be reached on
this listserv or by email at [log in to unmask]. Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you!
Carole Griffin

--------

Hello Carole!
Welcome to the SignWriting List, and thank you for your email a few days ago, requesting a SignWriting Information Packet.

I was planning to write to you today to invite you to join the SignWriting List, and you beat me to it!

I am very glad you have joined the SignWriting List, because you can learn SignWriting right here on the List.

I will also mail you a SignWriting Information Packet through the postal mail, this coming week.

Meanwhile, this is the place to learn SignWriting.

The first task?... Download this textbook, and then start asking questions here on the List...

1. Go to:

SignWriting Lessons
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/

On the above web page, scroll down, and download Number 1:

http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs6/sw0550-SignWriting-Manual-Part1-Basics.pdf

The 2nd task?

2. Go to SignPuddle ASL Dictionary Online:

ASL Dictionary in SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=4

Place an asterisk in the search field, and press the Search Button...that lists all of the signs in the database - click on words and start exploring the dictionary. To write your own signs, click on the SignMaker icon on the left of the screen, to start writing your own signs..

Of course you will have questions! Start asking here on the List and you will receive answers -

Thanks for writing!

http://listserv.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1