That is so true - We can write either hand as dominant, and we can write ambidextrous signing too!

Whatever the signer signs, we can write it, no matter what hand they choose as dominant -

Val ;-)

On Feb 7, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Charles Butler wrote:

I think that this is a situation where the "citation" form is right handed, but one may have left-handed signers switching dominant hands.

Long-term, we need to have a function that will switch everything from "right-hand dominant" to "left-hand dominant" and "expressive" to "receptive" but it currently does not exist.

Every class I have ever taught in Sign Writing has had at least one left-handed signer, so that we teach "write what you see on your own hands". Having left-handed and right-handed students teaches everyone that the system is universal, not one hand dominant over the other in writing.

Charles

From: Charles Butler <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, February 7, 2011 1:34:05 PM
Subject: Re: QUESTION: Can we write left-handed signing?

The dark arrow is for the right hand, the white arrow is for the left hand.  If you write your language left-hand dominant, that is fine, but left and right don't change. The arrows are for which hand is used, not which is dominant.

Fingers follow the hand.  The whole system is built for both hands.

Charles