Print

Print


Thanks Charles!


On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Charles Butler
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> The transcription by multiple speakers would be write up the line of some
> NIST programs that are written to transcribe multiple speakers. If they
> were adapted to electrodes on people's hands like Valerie's black and white
> gloves, and with careful programming tied to Sign Writing, one could
> transcribe multiple conversations. You still need a large sign library to
> ensure correct language, but it could be done and a great idea for a
> national grant.
>
>
> Charles Butler
> [log in to unmask]
> 240-764-5748
> Clear writing moves business forward.
>
>   ------------------------------
>  *From:* André L <[log in to unmask]>
> *To:* [log in to unmask]
> *Sent:* Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:04 PM
> *Subject:* receptive/expressive for chat littérature  and poetry
>
> Hello Erika,
>
> let us imagine the future ...
>
> Let us think about chat, litterature, poetry...
>
> I would have a software like Chineese that allows selecting international
> sign language and ASL pictograms very fast with most common words displayed
> after a few clicks. Sign writting would be fast.  We could even sign in
> front of the camera and get a transcript by Microsoft (it is coming!).
>
> I would chat with you...
> My text would appear to me from the expressive perspective but your
> answer would be displayed receptively to me in my browser.
>
> I would read a book with intense emotions written expressively by the
> narrator to make me feel in the shoes of the character.  Then comes the
> mean character, whom threatens my character that I read receptively.  There
> would be a tendency to make mean character left handed (even with a scar on
> a hand).  Until the identity of the mean character is known, no sign would
> display a face...
>
> Other narrators may write in the receptive perspective to keep a distance
> from the reader, example an official report.
>
> Theater may be written from the perspective of each actor, all adapted
> through a software.  Signs would point toward left, right or the front
> depending on whom talks to whom.  That would apply to the transcript of a
> conference with several speakers.
>
> I would have friend using their own signwritting fonts, more fancy, with
> smooter edges, a wedding ring or a watch embedded in the signs to make them
> more personnal.  Some fonts would be more like real hands.  Just like
> smileys but for signs...
>
> I would prefer to read my sign writting texts on my i-pad.  I would swap
> the whole text to left handed because I am left handed.  I would swapt the
> whole text from a receptive perspective because that would be our way in my
> country for some reason.  The view from above could be selected for a
> character like Spiderman...
>
> Poetry would swap between left-right, expressive-receptive, even top view
> to exploit shapes of the signs.  The arab calligraphy use geometry
> sometimes...
>
> In French we had a lot of writters and poets that explored how far
> language itself can go (beyond the meaning itself).
>
> if something is possible given time, eventually somebody will do it (or
> did it).  Particularly artists...
>
> André Lemyre
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 21:23:00 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: one more receptive/expressive question
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Yes, the visual reversal is different and really interesting!
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 22, 2013, at 9:11 PM, "Valerie Sutton" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> SignWriting List
> August 22, 2013
>
> But in spoken language, you do not have to switch right side with left
> side -
>
> In spoken language, just because you don't agree with what is being said,
> it does not mean that you are hearing a scratchy voice versus a high voice
> versus a low voice when reading the concepts that you disagree with -
>
> But this is exactly why another research lab wanted to research the
> amazing SignWriting phenomena of the "ability" to write receptive and
> expressive -
>
> There is no way in the English alphabet to physically right the high tones
> or the low tones or the scratching tones or the screaming tones - except
> for of course some tonal languages perhaps - smile - but that is not
> English -
>
> So once again, I think the production of sound of an excited sentence does
> not mean we are writing the exact tone of the original writer - the thinker
> who is reading it puts those excited tones into it I think - and that for
> me seems to be expressive -
>
> Well - I think we need a new research grant to research this with MRI
> equipment!
>
> I only know that Deaf writers who were signing as their first language,
> who were skilled in SignWriting for 4 years, requested Expressive because
> they wanted it - smile - and I followed their lead ;-)
>
> Val ;-)
>
> -------
>
>
>
> On Aug 22, 2013, at 5:09 PM, Erika <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I take your point Val, though I think that if we include social,
> emotional, contextual etc signification - as opposed to just reference -
> the sound of the voice or qualities of signing can add lots of meaning.
> I also think that it may be possible to read written spoken language
> receptively - for example, if a person feels alienated from the type of
> text (suppose someone reading in a language they understand but don't
> identify with, or someone reading an authoritative legal text) might
> project in their head a voice that isn't their own. I sometimes ask
> students this question, whether they hear their own voice internally when
> they read, and the answers can vary according to the student's identity in
> relation to what they are reading.
> Does that make sense?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 22, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "Valerie Sutton" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> SignWriting List
> August 22, 2013
>
> Yes, I agree, thank you, Ingvild, for sharing this - This is a good story
> to remember...Reading appears to be expressive, whether your read out loud,
> or hear your own voice in silence while you read, or read without hearing
> anything…it is still expressive, because you are internalizing the thoughts
> for meaning, as if they are your own - You are not hearing someone else's
> voice - because there is no way you could know what the original author
> sounded like, nor is the sound of someone else's voice the point of the
> message - How someone else signs something (produces the movements) is not
> the point either, if you are reading for "meaning" -
>
> Val ;-)
>
> ----
>
>
> On Aug 22, 2013, at 2:01 PM, Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> Ah, that is an interesting way of thinking about expressive/receptive
> reading for spoken language!
> Thanks Ingvild!
>
>
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Ingvild Roald <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> On an off-note: St Augustin, bishop in Hippo, North Africa ca 400,
> commented astonished that he had heard that some people actually read
> without using their voice (if I remember my facts correctly. It definitely
> was someone famous and around that time). So it seems he and most other
> people who were able read did so expressively ...
>
> Ingvild
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:49:25 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: one more receptive/expressive question
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Thank you Valerie and Cherie for your interesting replies!
>
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Cherie Wren <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> If I can't immediately read a sign, I will try to sign it 'out loud'.  If
> I am reading receptive, I get all confused, because it doesn't feel right.
>
> cherie
>
>
>   ------------------------------
>  *From:* Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway <[log in to unmask]>
> *To:* [log in to unmask]
> *Sent:* Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:54 AM
>
> *Subject:* one more receptive/expressive question
>
> Hi again! Thanks to all who responded to my earlier question - such
> helpful responses! I'll be sure to keep you all updated about the paper.
> I noticed something in your replies that made me think of an additional
> question: most of you talked about the process of writing and how
> expressive/receptive affects that process. Do any of you have any thoughts
> on how the choice affects reading? For example, when you read something
> written expressively, do you think that it makes you experience the writing
> differently? Are you more likely to sign it "out loud" (physically perform
> the signs in whole or in part while signing)? To notice spelling or writing
> choices that would differ from your own? Does putting yourself in the
> writer's shoes make you relate to them more?
> Thanks!
> Erika
>
>
> --
> Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway
> Assistant Professor of Anthropology
> Oberlin College
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway
> Assistant Professor of Anthropology
> Oberlin College
>
>
>
>
> --
> Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway
> Assistant Professor of Anthropology
> Oberlin College
>
>
>
>
>
>


-- 
Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Oberlin College