Hi Stefan and SW-friends,
On 11/9/2014 12:22 PM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:

Hi Valerie and SW-friends around the world,

I would like to ask for your precious time to discuss the following issue:

Well Valerie it has happened a  long time ago that you invented your first symbols that should represent the 5 – fingers hand , the fist or the claw hand ....

Diving into the art of TT-Font design years ago I looked very very carefully at the design and especially at the proportions of head to flat-hand to fist, to the lenght of a index finger  etc... ....I remember that we discussed special concepts as the “thick line of the “I-hand”, the small height of the B-hand compared to the flat hand etc.... and I learned a lot from your lesson about the Rootshapes and Action Fingers...

I am interested in your feedback. Are there other experienced SignWriting-scribes and readers among you who look at the design of the hand symbols as they are used now and who would whish to change that in order to achieve a more visual / more naturalistic looking symbol compared to a drawn hand?

I have seen several people try to write their own symbols to depict hands.  What I have observed it that the only draw a few orientations, and often have a hard time reading back the proper facing and rotation.  Also they are longer to draw.  For handwriting I like the current symbols as they are faster to write and carry the needed information to reproduce the sign accurately.

Does anybody believe that part of the reason why it takes time to encourage/convince more teachers of deaf students and more deaf signlanguage instructors to use SignWriting within their classes is connected to the design of the actual used series of symbols?  So in the end a more naturalistic looking symbolset would attract more deaf signlanguage instructors?

From my limited experience people might be more attracted to a naturalistic symbolset, but writing it is more problematic to write than the simpler shapes we have.
I think that a more naturalistic symbolset might be slightly easier to read but then some parts of the hand would still not be
visible.  Also it would be a lot harder to write.
But I know you aren't talking about writing by hand but the TT-Font and fonts in general.

I think it would be really nice to be able to distinguish two seperate symbols that now look exactly the same.

 Well I remember my printouts of the SignWriter DOS programm at large seize  1999... compared to the TT-font that are possible today with SignPuddle and the delegs Editor if you expand the Pdf –document what an amazing achievement!

Does it happen in your  country as well that new designers show up and present new sets of symbol-designs that might hurt rules and conventions we agree upon for years? Would it make sense to present two different designs of a given hand to people who are not familiar with SignWriting and ask for their preference?

I would appreciate very much if many of you and especially of the SignPuddle dictionary editors could give – even short – comments on this topic.

If you are interested I would be able to present some of these “new designed symbols” so that we could discuss the pros and cons in the context of special examples ...

Yes I would be interested in seing what you have in mind.

So to recap, I think that it would be nice to add some features to the fonts but I think that a fully naturalistic symbolset might be too much.

I had thought at one point adding a feature in SignWriter Studio, which would temporarily replace the hand symbols with the pictures of the hands Adam put together.  It was only a thought and never made it to the top of my list of things to do.  That way it would be really easy to compare the symbols with a real hand. I don' believe however that the left hand or the baby edge are available so it would be of limited use.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with and all best with your students

Jonathan

Take care and good luck with all your different projects

All best

Stefan

email: [log in to unmask]
Cel Honduras: (504)3141-1171