I had planned this (subject line) as my masters thesis for over a decade.  Unfortunately between my age and finances it's probably never going to happen.  But I just read a research article that lays the groundwork for it.  "Acquiring English as a Second Language via Print: the Task for Deaf Children" by Robert J. Hoffmeister and Catherine L. Caldwell-Harris.
From their conclusions: "Our model implies that many more deaf children could become proficient readers if school systems used ASL as the medium or an innovative system like Supalla's Signs for Success rather than adapting the L1 curriculum used for hearing children."
Supalla's system is a writing system for ASL, that (in my opinion) is nowhere near as user friendly as SignWriting.

Cherie Wren

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android