Yes, the beginning and ending handshapes can make the movement arrows less complex. ;-)

I know that there are times in ASL where one of the two handshapes would not be written because it is understood that the movement aren’t just “straight forward” because the sign is commonly known and doesn’t have another sign that could be confused with it.

There is always a tug between writing exact details and writing as simple and easy as possible. Sometimes I do several tries to see how much detail is needed and how much can be done without. We get better as we write more and share with other writers. ;-)

Adam